Sunday, May 04, 2014

The academic approach on Android

Yesterday I stumbled upon my account on Coursera and I spent some time searching for an course on Android. I wanted to have a more academic approach to learning Android, rather then just learning trough code samples.

After a bit of search I decided to try the course Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems. It's an 8 week course consisting of 3-7 video lectures each week with quizzes, assignments and a forum to ask questions. The videos are around 15-20 minutes in length and during the course of a video there are several questions to verify the knowledge gained until then. The questions help me check if I understood what was presented during the course.

Below you can have a short overview on the course contents:

  • Week 1: Introduction into Android Platform
  • Week 2: Application fundamentals
  • Week 3: Intent Class, Permissions, Fragment Class
  • Week 4: User interface class
  • Week 5: Use Notifications, BroadcastReceivers, Threads, AsyncTask & Handles, Alarms, Networking
  • Week 6: Graphics & Animations, Multi-touch & Gesture, MultiMedia
  • Week 7: Sensor, Location & Maps
  • Week 8" DataManagement, ContentProvider Class, Service Class
The goal is to go trough the course materials in 2-3 weeks and do as many project assignments as possible. I'm already at the videos from Week 2 so it shouldn't be that hard, right? :)

No comments: